by Jade Curtis
We are all aware of the many health benefits Biotin and Keratin have for our bodies. In fact, when most people think about growing their hair, strengthening their nails, and improving their skin, they often turn to Biotin supplements and Keratin infused products.
While these two products work wonders, there’s an often overlooked and disregarded supplement that can help you see quicker results. If you haven’t guessed it by now, the secret supplement I’ve been talking about is Bamboo!
Bamboo is one of the fastest-growing plants in the world! Certain species of bamboo can grow between 8-10 centimeters in a single day. Not only does it grow rapidly, but it also remains both strong and flexible in the process. It’s said to be as strong as steel, as firm as cement, and it grows to timber size in about 11 months.
Bamboo contains up to 70% of vegetative silica– that’s the greatest amount in any plant! Also known as Silicon, silica is a
combination of silicon and oxygen, two of the most abundant elements on the planet.
It is a trace mineral that can be found in the body that slowly depletes as we age, and if we are lacking this mineral it can not only cause our hair to weaken and shed, but it can also impact our nails, skin and other organs in our bodies, as well.
Many hair companies incorporate bamboo extract into their products because it helps lock in moisture and creates shine while adding strength and elasticity.
These companies are fully aware of silica’s ability to improve hair texture, prevent split ends, and accelerate hair growth. This nutrient-rich ingredient also has protective antioxidant properties and improves hair health through its silica-rich nutrient base.
The Benefits of Silica:
1. Helps restore appearance and adds shine to hair
2. Lengthens and thickens hair strands
3. Prevents hair shedding and hair loss
4. Mends split ends and strengthens strands
5. Supplies hair follicles with vital minerals
Consuming More Bamboo
After learning about all the amazing benefits this plant has to offer, of course, you’re wondering how you can get your daily dose of it. One of the most popular ways to consume bamboo and get your daily dose of silica is by drinking bamboo leaf tea. It has a pleasant, fresh, earthy taste that can be enjoyed without sweetener.
While you will not see results as soon as you finish a cup of it, people often notice growth, stronger strands and a decrease in shedding relatively quickly. Those who consume bamboo also notice an added bonus in their bodies feeling less achy.
The bamboo shoot is a vegetable that is very popular and commonly used in Asian dishes that are relatively dense in nutrients. This is just another way to obtain the benefits of bamboo internally, as well. Bamboo shoots contain very few calories, a great amount of fiber and contain vitamins and minerals too!
The Hair Benefits
Products containing bamboo ingredients can also benefit our hair.
1. Shampoos that have incorporated bamboo extract into their recipes are good at washing away dead skin cells, reducing dandruff, and removing other unwanted agents that build upon our hair strands. Its ability to remove pollutants, body oils and chemical build-up allows bamboo extract to induce natural shine and luster to your hair.
2. Bamboo is also great for sensitive and dry scalps because it contains anti-irritant and antioxidant properties.
3. Hair products with bamboo in them can help the overall appearance of your hair, allowing it to become more manageable, shinier, softer, and stronger.