Clinton declines another debate with Sanders

admin

Hillary Clinton has turned down Fox News’ invitation to take part in another Democratic primary debate with Sen. Bernie Sanders, her campaign said Monday.

“As we have said previously, we plan to compete hard in the remaining primary states, particularly California, while turning our attention to the threat a Donald Trump presidency poses,” said Jennifer Palmieri, the Clinton campaign’s communications director, in a statement.

Sanders recently accepted an invitation to take part in the debate, which was to be held in California ahead of its June 7 primary.

“There are issues of enormous importance facing the people of California and our nation and the people of our largest state deserve to hear the Democratic candidates’ opinions,” campaign manager Jeff Weaver said last week in a statement.

Clinton holds a significant lead over Sanders in the delegate race and is within 100 of the 2,383 needed to clinch the party’s nomination, according to the Associated Press, when super delegates — party leaders and elected officials free to support any candidate — are factored in. California has 475 pledged delegates at stake in its primary.

Clinton and Sanders last debated on April 14 in Brooklyn, which, unless something changes, appears to have been their final face-off of the 2016 campaign.

Next Post

Thunder destroy Warriors in stunning Game 3 victory

USA TODAY Sports’ Sam Amick breaks down Oklahoma City’s win in Game 3. USA TODAY Sports OKLAHOMA CITY – Steph Curry was used to sitting in fourth quarters, but not like this. In these past two seasons in which his Golden State Warriors had taken over the NBA, the sight […]

Subscribe US Now