Let’s Meet at Our Favorite Places This Small Business Saturday®American Express, Etsy, The Museum of Ice Cream, Record Store Day, The Wing and independent bookstores will join the celebration on November 25
NEW YORK, November 5, 2017 —
Shoppers and businesses, get ready! American Express today announced its lineup of partnerships and activities to amplify the eighth annual Small Business Saturday, which will take place on November 25. The annual celebration was founded by American Express in 2010 and is held each year on the Saturday after Thanksgiving to encourage all Americans to support independent businesses across the country, from their neighborhood cafe to the toy store down the street.
Whether it’s the local boutique, barbershop or sushi spot, small businesses have a way of bringing people together through shared interests and experiences. This year, Small Business Saturday offers people the opportunity to share their favorite places, discover new spots and celebrate independent businesses by giving them a boost.
“We are proud to see how Small Business Saturday continues to inspire communities. This year we will again celebrate the small businesses that make our neighborhoods feel like home,” said Elizabeth Rutledge, Executive Vice President, Global Advertising and Brand Management at American Express. “We’ve seen firsthand that when small businesses thrive, our neighborhoods, towns and cities thrive. So this Small Business Saturday we encourage everyone to visit the diverse range of small businesses that make up the fabric of their communities.”
How to Shop, Play, Share & Rock Out
Communities across the country are busy planning Small Business Saturday celebrations, from window décor and sand castles to street art and tree lightings. A new roster of activities and events from American Express will also help make this year’s Small Business Saturday inclusive and share-worthy for all:
- Shop Small® for the Holidays with Etsy: American Express and Etsy have teamed up to celebrate online small business owners from coast to coast. On Small Business Saturday, Etsy sellers will host holiday pop-up markets in San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, San Antonio, and Wichita, providing a destination to shop locally crafted, one-of a kind items this holiday season. Visit www.etsy.com/madelocal/us to find more details on local Etsy seller markets near you.
- Sweet Snaps with Museum of Ice Cream: Museum of Ice Cream—an interactive museum and ice cream extravaganza—is teaming up with American Express to celebrate small businesses at its San Francisco location. On Small Business Saturday, shoppers will have the opportunity to attend events at the newest Museum of Ice Cream location and receive special access to photographable installations as well as sweet treats from local vendors. Find out all the details at www.museumoficecream.com/amexsbs.
- Rock Out with Record Store Day: Record Store Day will celebrate the spirit of small businesses with a limited edition vinyl album release in partnership with the Los Angeles-based band Dawes, especially for Small Business Saturday. The indie rock band operates its very own independent business, HUB Records, and has performed worldwide. The special edition live double album will hit shelves at record stores across the country on Small Business Saturday. Find a record store near you at www.recordstoreday.com.
- Find Community at The Wing: The Wing, a network of co-working and community spaces for women, will support entrepreneurs in New York City through dynamic programming around Small Business Saturday. Leading up to Small Business Saturday, The Wing will host a panel of women business owners at its Flatiron location who will educate and empower other female entrepreneurs as they prepare for the holiday shopping season. On Small Business Saturday, The Wing will host a pop-up bazaar in SoHo, which will be open to the public for shoppers to find unique and exclusive items and services created by The Wing’s members and other local, women-owned businesses. For more information, check out www.the-wing.com/smallbusiness.
- Discover New Stories with Indies First: Indies First, the national campaign by the American Booksellers Association dedicated to supporting independent bookstores on Small Business Saturday, will once again mark the day by showing love for independent bookstores. Bookstores throughout the country will celebrate by hosting creative events and activities with authors, supported by publishers. To find participating independent bookstores, visit www.indiebound.org/indies-first.
- Celebrate with Your Neighborhood: More than 4,500 small business owners, individuals and community organizations have already pledged to be Neighborhood Champions this year, committing to host events and activities to rally their communities on Small Business Saturday. Shop Small enthusiasts can show their love for local Neighborhood Champions and independent businesses by linking up with family and friends to attend these events. Click here to find Neighborhood Champions near you.
- Join the Movement and Show Your Love: Millions of shoppers, foodies, public officials and other supporters pledged their support on Small Business Saturday last year. To keep spreading the love, American Express is asking consumers to share their Small Business Saturday photos, activities and favorite purchases on social media throughout the day. Everyone is welcome to join the movement by using the hashtags #ShopSmall and #SmallBizSat. You can also RSVP to Shop Small this Nov. 25 and receive reminders here.
Check with local businesses in your community to see what they are planning for Small Business Saturday, and visit www.shopsmallnow.com to see a Shop Small Map of American Express® Card-accepting small businesses in your neighborhood.